College is life is something that we all have been fascinating about during our school time. Nobody could experience college life before the completion of school, however, what added fuel to our fascination were the said and heard stories of college days. On the top of that, we have college versions of Bollywood, which somehow also conceptualises our imaginations and expectations about college.
But, you know what – it is only when you finally live your college life, the bubble burst and you land straight to the reality. But, we are here to warn you, we mean to tell you beforehand what not to expect from college.
YOU NEED TO ATTEND LECTURES
– Off course some of the colleges do not follow a strict attendance rule but most of them do. That is the reason why you cannot spend your entire span of 3-5 years merely bunking and roaming around the street. The sad truth of the time is you need to sit in the class and learn your subjects to earn some decent grades.
YOU CANNOT BE THE HERO ALWAYS
– It is shown in the movies but let us be very clear that you cannot always win each and every competition or event. You will face your own share of problems and insecurities, which will at times keep you on a back foot. However, do not worry this is common amongst the youth and it is dealt with eventually.
YOU CAN’T ALWAYS HAVE A GANG
– Some of the lifelong friendships are born during college days and that is indeed true, however, this is not necessary to happen with everyone. Sometimes college life shows you the other side of people, which could be rude, self-centered, and often a little weird. So look out for a good friendship but do not be blinded by over desperation.
IT IS MORE ABOUT DRESS AND DRESSING
– Yes! College life is actually the time when you learn about self-styling, you begin to experiment yourself with various looks. You receive compliments, you try to replicate, and you appreciate someone’s sense of styling and so but do not forget that it is not the ‘only’ thing. Often youngsters end up losing their self-confidence owing to the fact that they are not or they cannot afford to be as stylish as you can.
YOU MAY REMAIN SINGLE
– Movies visualise college life as a hub of love affairs which is not true actually. What we mean is yes! There are chances that you might find your lady love or the prince charming but that is not mandatory to happen. Many of us remain single even when the college comes to an end. So, do not keep your hopes high.
Also Read: Why do start-up founders remain single?
PEER PRESSURE IS REAL
– We remain in a safer and closed world during our school time. A limited number of people, limited friends, limited teachers and so on. However, college is different. It is a sort of mini-world where groupies and peer pressure exists. More often than not you would end up doing things out of peer pressure and that is where you need to bring your intelligence in between. It is not that peer pressure is always bad; your peers can also force you to quit your bad habits. However, you need to choose your peers wisely.
SOCIAL AND ECONOMICAL BACKGROUNDS COUNTS
– in our school days, it did not matter who was rich, who belonged to neither middle class; nor it mattered what kind of lifestyle does he or she receives. However, things come into picture drastically during college life. Often people hang out with people belonging to the same social and economic class. No, they do not do it intentionally but it happens by default. Again, this may not be mandatorily true but an undeniable fact it is.
Also Read: Why We Love Money (And You Should, Too!)
MAY NOT BE THE HOT AND HAPPENING PLACE EITHER
– If you refer Bollywood for your conceptualization about college then certainly it would appear as the hottest and happening place. However, in reality, that is not the case more often. Undoubtedly, college life is fun and enjoyable but the portrayal of it as a happening place may not hold true always.
GRADES MATTER BUT NOT ALWAYS
– Yes, grades matter they definitely do but college life does not revolve only around grades and marks. There are curricular activities that you get to organize, arrange, and attend; there might be clubs that you would be participating in and so on. So do not give entire weight to your marks because they might land you a job but not experience.
YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN
– Unlike school, here your parents will not be protecting you over minor issues nor would you find teachers going out of their ways to help you. College life makes you understand yourself and leaves you on your own. You choose your friends eventually who take you to another direction. You get to make the decisions about notes to peers. You are completely on your own, my friend.
ACQUAINTANCES AND FRIENDS
– In school, everyone used to be your friend but that is not how things in college functions. In college, you might end u meeting hundreds of people every day, 50 out of which might even talk, 20 might be in your WhatsApp groups as well, but that is not what makes them your friend. As you grow, you would realise that true friends are often as many as you can count on your fingers. Remember it.
College life is an amazing place to learn, ditching your comfort zones and experiment yourself. However, often in peer pressure youngsters turn out to cross their tracks and indulge into things that could be dangerous to their mental, social or physical health. You need to decide on your own about what seems to be right and what seems to be good for you. This time is sure to enjoy and get the taste of world but without burning your tongue!
If you have something else to add, ask or suggest, don’t forget to shoot it below in the comment box.