Well, before I start ranting about the appetizing food, hear me out for I am speaking on behalf of night owls. As much as we love to stay awake because of work or the reason that we have just fallen in love, food remains a constant challenge. You don’t want to drag your lazy bum to the kitchen, but you do want to gorge on to good and highly delicious food.
So for all those who love to stay up, late at night, here’s your resort for a quick snack.
1. Bread Fry
Bread, Ketchup, Cheese & Salt
It is half the effort and twice the deliciousness of this picture. Toss some grated cheese on the bread along with some ketchup and salt on it. Heat it in the pan for a while and your midnight awesomeness is ready to be eaten.
2. Watermelon Ice
1 large watermelon
Cut watermelon into workable pieces. Remove the seeds and the rind. Puree the watermelon in a blender or food processor. Pour the puree into ice cube trays and freeze.
Recipe courtesy: Foodnetwork.com
3. Bread Pizza
Bread, Ketchup, Chopped veggies, Grated cheese, Pepper & Salt
Never will you ever look at those leftover pieces of bread, in the same way. Bread pizza is the quickest resort and a healthy snack. All you need to have is few ingredients and your delightful snack is ready.
- 8 to 10 slices of bread – brown, whole wheat or white bread
- 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium to large capsicum/bell pepper, sliced or chopped (red or green or yellow bell pepper)
- 1 medium onion, sliced or chopped
- ⅓ cup steamed corn kernels or tinned corn
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- ¼ to ½ tsp black pepper powder or add as per your taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped or ½ cup finely chopped tomato
- salt as required
- regular cheese or cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese as required
- chili flakes and oregano as required for sprinkling
- slice the bread into two and place them in a baking tray. you can also cover the tray with aluminium foil and place the bread slices on it. toast the bread in a preheated oven at 200 degrees celsius for 8 to 12 minutes or more, till they are lightly toasted and golden. you can also easily toast the bread slices in an electric toaster or on a tava/griddle. when the bread slices are lightly toasted, remove them from the oven.
- heat 1 tbsp olive in a pan.
- add finely chopped garlic and saute for half a minute on a low flame. no need to brown the garlic.
- add tomatoes and saute till the tomatoes soften on a low flame.
- when the tomatoes are softened and you see oil releasing from the mixture, add black pepper, dry oregano and basil. also, add salt stir well.
- then add sliced onions. steamed corn kernels and bell peppers. here you can also add veggies like sauteed mushrooms, baby corn, steamed potatoes, cherry tomatoes, olives.
- stir and saute for 3 to 4 minutes on a low flame. we don’t need to cook the veggies. just a light sauteing.
- keep the veggies aside.
- top the veggies on the lightly toasted bread slices. if you want you can also spread some butter/olive oil on the bread first and then top the prepared veggies. you can also dot the veggies with tomato sauce.
- sprinkle grated cheese. here I used the regular Indian cheese like Amul cheese. this cheese does not melt. but will get golden and browned. for a melted and gooey option, better to add cheddar cheese. for a stringy melted option, add mozzarella cheese
- place the tray back in the oven and bake at 200 degrees celsius for 8 to 12 minutes or till the cheese melts or gets lightly browned.
serve veg bread pizza with red chili flakes, oregano and tomato ketchup.
Recipe courtesy: http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com
4. Roasted Carrots
Carrot, Garlic, Butter & Seasoning of your choice
Give your boring carrots a new look and turn them into a snack for which everyone will crave. These carrots sticks can get spicier, tastier and amazingly appetizing. Your gateway for mouthwatering midnight snack.
- fresh garlic
- butter/olive oil
- any seasoning you want!
1. Cut carrots into little chunks. We use baby carrots and cut them into fourths.
2. Put in however much garlic and butter you want! I use a tablespoon of butter and a few squeezes of the squeezy fresh garlic.
3. Season with your seasonings. I use italian, parsley flakes, salt and pepper.
4. Steam in the microwave for 5/6 minutes or bake on 350 for 30/40 minutes
Recipe courtesy: https://studentrecipes.com
5.Chatpati Boiled Potatoes
Potatoes, Lemon, Salt, Pepper, Chat masala and Garam masala
Potatoes are yummy and top everyone’s “I-want-to-eat” list. Once you eat this, you’ll never look at them, in the same way. Just boil them, toss the masala over it, mix it well and the dish is ready to hog.
6. Chilly Cheese Toast
Bread, Butter, Oregano, Chilly flakes, Cheese, Green chilly and ketchup
If you won’t have an oven, you can toast it on a flat pan too. Chilly cheese toast is easy, quick, and utterly mouthwatering.
- 4-5 slices of brown or whole wheat bread
- 3 to 4 tbsp grated cheese – mozzarella, cheddar or regular cheese
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ tsp grated or minced ginger
- salt and black pepper as required
- salted butter at room temperature for spreading on the bread, as required
- grate the cheese in a bowl. add the chopped chilies and ginger. also add salt and pepper and mix well.
- slice the bread into triangular or rectangular slices. if you want you can slice the edges.
- place the bread on a rack or tray and bake or grill in a pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 5-6 minutes till lightly toasted.
- no need to brown the edges of the bread. just a little crispness on the surfaces.
- keep an eye while toasting the bread slices.
- remove and keep the bread with an oven mitt or spatula on a tray or plate.
- spread some butter evenly on the slices. then spread the cheese-chili-ginger mixture evenly.
- again bake or grill in the pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 7-10 mins or more till the cheese melts and the bread slices get golden and crisp. you can also brown the cheese more if you want.
- keep an eye and make sure the bread does not get burnt.
- serve the cheese chilli toast with tomato sauce.
2. if making for kids, then skip the green chilies or reduce the amount of chopped chilies.3. for making the toast sandwich in a sandwich maker or grilla) apply butter on both the slices.
b) spread the cheese-chili-ginger filling on one slice.
c) cover with the other buttered slice and toast the sandwich in a sandwich maker or toaster.4. for making cheese chilli toast on a tava:a) first toast the bread slices till light golden on a tava. first make the tava or pan hot and then reduce the flame.
b) then keep the bread slices on the tava and toast till lightly.
c) remove the bread slices in a tray or plate. spread some butter on top of the slices. then spread some of the cheese-chili-ginger filling.
d) again place the bread slices on the tava and toast till golden. keep the flame to low. make sure the bread does not get burnt.
7. Egg In A Mug
Eggs, Milk, and Cheese
Those who everything that’s easy isn’t worth it haven’t eaten this egg in the mug for sure. Take it a go with this healthy midnight snack, which won’t take more than 3 minutes.
8. Cheesy Lemon Rice
Lemon, White rice, Salt, Pepper, Cheese and Butter
If you hear your stomach growling in the middle of the night, I guess it is time for you to get your hands on this dish. You can also get all creative while adding veggies to it.
- 1 bottle of the realemon juice
- white rice
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- shredded and sliced cheese
Boil the rice, add butter to the rice make sure it is melted. Then add seasoning salt and the black pepper. Sprinkle shredded cheese and then slice cheese stir all together, then squirt lemon juice!
know that all you can put whatever amount you would like in the rice, a lot of butter, a lot of pepper whatever it’s up to you!
hope you enjoy!
Recipe courtesy: https://studentrecipes.com
Burger mayo, Cheese, Cucumber, Carrot, Salt, Pepper, Bread and Ketchup
A rather spicy and filling treat for those who do not believe in the concept of a light snack. Healthy veggies tossed with cheese that makes if yummy and a sin worth committing.
- Burger myoneese
- cheese slice
- powdered pepper
- bread 2 slice
- tomato sauce
Spread myonese on one slice of bread and spread sauce on the other.
grate cucumber and carrot together add salt and pepper to the mixture.
now spread the mixture on the myonese bread.
keep a cheese slice on the sauced one.
now attach both the slices.Heat the pan and toast it until brown.
serve it hot with sauce.
Recipe courtesy : https://studentrecipes.com
10. Spicy Bhujia
A pack of bhujia, Tomato, Onion, Lemon Juice, Chat masala, Peanuts and chilly
There’s something about a snack that takes no more than a minute and fills your stomach complete, in those long restless hours of the night. It is their sheer nonchalance!
There is something about a having a snack with drinking in general. More so something salty and tangy. There is something that mouthwatering about it. I remember back in India, there would always be a snack served with whisky and soda whenever we had guests over or when we went over to someone’s house. And these are not appetizers like pakoras, samosa but snack items like boiled eggs with salt and black pepper, peanuts, cashews, chips, pretzels etc. So this is an ode to a classic, its deep fried potato strings getting a lift in taste and flavor.
- 1/2 pack haldiram aloo bhujia (Deep fried potato strings)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 potato, peeled and boiled and diced
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chat masala
1) Peel and cook the potatoes, you can use the quick microwave method. Just poke some holes in and throw in some water and microwave for 8 min. And peel and keep in ziploc bag ready for whenever you need em.
2) Nothing too complicated about it, just mix all the ingredients and let its sit for couple minutes. And enjoy the salt and tangy snack with some good drinks.
Recipe courtesy : http://infiniteappetite.blogspot.in
11. Grilled Chocolate Sandwich
Eggs, Milk, Bread, Chocolate Bar, Unsalted butter and Sugar
There are absolutely no sinful snacks as this one. Chocolate grilled sandwich will leave you with an urge for wanting more. A good snack will always make you drool. As I write this, I am planning to make one right now.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 4 large slices challah or Italian Bread, (cut 3/4 inch thick)
- 4 ounces thin semisweet chocolate bar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
In a large, shallow dish, whisk together eggs and milk; set aside.
Form two sandwiches with the bread and chocolate (break chocolate as necessary to cover bread without extending over edges); dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture to coat.
Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat; transfer sandwiches to skillet. Cook, pressing occasionally with a spatula, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Cut in half, and dust with confectioners’; sugar before serving.
Recipe courtesy : http://www.marthastewart.com
Egg, Chat Masala, Chicken Masala, Salt, Oil and Instant mint chatni
All you have to do is bring these ingredients to your table, mix them well, heat it and bam! You have all the leverage of adding whatever toppings you want.
- chat masala
- chicken masala (opt)
- given below will me meshed and grind and made chatni
- coriendar leaves
- green chilies
First mesh the item in the ingredients 1-8
then heat oil in the pan
the add your suitable vegetables in it. Heat it
the maketh past of egg edible, salt, chat masala, chicken masala (opt)
and coriander leaves
then put it on the frying pan
make the omelette
when the first side is ready then brush the chatni on it.
the change the side and when ready serve the dish with ketchup
Recipe couresy: https://studentrecipes.com
13. Masala Maggie
Maggie, Water, Tomato, Onion, Salt, Chilly powder
Can there be any snack-talk without maggie? Well, no. It’s official that maggie is India’s favorite snack.
And yes, You’re welcome fellas!